DUBLIN – 29 November 2019 – The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) has won the award for ‘World’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre’ at the 26th annual World Travel Awards.
As The CCD enters its tenth year in operation, it was awarded the title at the World Gala Ceremony in Oman on Thursday evening. This is the second time the venue has won the coveted title, beating off tough international competition from fourteen venues around the world including previous winners Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre - ADNEC, Berlin ExpoCenter City, Dubai World Trade Centre, ExCeL London, Qatar National Convention Centre, and Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre.
After the ceremony, Stephen Meehan, Chief Executive of The CCD, spoke about the achievement, “After ten years in business, we are delighted to win this award once again and would like to thank everyone who voted for us. It is a testament to the entire team in Dublin whose talent, energy and passion demonstrates their commitment to delivering exceptional customer service.”
“The CCD plays a very important role in attracting business tourism to Ireland”, he added, “Along with our tourism colleagues throughout the country, we are privileged to be part of this key sector, one which employs 260,000 people nationally and welcomes over nine million visitors to our shores each year.”
The CCD’s has now hosted over 1,850 events since opening and has won 43 industry awards.
The World Travel Awards are voted for by travel and tourism professionals and business and leisure travel consumers worldwide and this accolade recognises the commitment to excellence that The CCD has demonstrated in the last twelve months.
Head of Marketing & Communications
The Convention Centre Dublin
About The CCD
The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) opened in September 2010 and is Ireland’s only purpose-built international convention centre. It is located in the heart of Dublin city, just 15 minutes from Dublin Airport.
Performance Highlights to Date
• Hosted over 1,850 events since opening in September 2010
• Customer satisfaction ranks consistently at over 98%
• 2019 to date, hosted over 160 events and over 117,000 visitors and delegates
The CCD has won 43 industry awards to date including:
• World’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2019, 2017 – World Travel AwardsTM
• Europe’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2019, 2018, 2017 - World Travel AwardsTM
• Best Overseas Conference Centre - UK Meetings & Incentive Travel (M&IT) Awards Gold 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015; 2016; 2018; 2019 Silver 2011, 2017
• Best Overseas Conference Venue - UK Conference & Incentive Travel (C&IT) Awards 2013 and 2015
• Access Excellence Award 2012 - UK M&IT (first Irish venue to win this accolade).
About World Travel Awards
World Travel Awards was established in 1993 to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the tourism industry. Today, the World Travel Awards brand is recognised globally as the ultimate hallmark of quality, with winners setting the benchmark to which all others aspire. The brand aims to celebrate those organisations who push the boundaries of industry excellence.