Three in a row for The CCD
DUBLIN – 10 June 2019 – The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) has won ‘Europe's Leading Meetings & Conference Centre’ at the 26th annual World Travel Awards for the third consecutive year.
The announcement was made on Saturday evening at the Gala Ceremony, which took place in Madeira, Portugal and attended by hundreds of travel industry professionals across Europe. This is the third year that The CCD has won this prestigious award.
After receiving the award on Saturday, Stephen Meehan, Chief Executive of The CCD said, “We are delighted to receive this award for the third year in a row. Our customers tell us that the service they receive is what stands The CCD apart from other venues. Winning ‘Europe's Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2019’ is a real honour, as it’s voted for by members of the industry and tourism consumers, who are our clients and delegates. We would like to thank everyone who voted for us again this year.”
There were a number of Irish winners on the night. The premium, five-star hotel, Adare Manor picked up the award for ‘Ireland’s Leading Hotel 2019’, with the Sandymount Hotel taking home ‘Europe’s Leading Green Hotel 2019’ and EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum winning ‘Europe's Leading Tourist Attraction 2019’. Commenting on the strong Irish representation at the awards Meehan added, “Ireland is a key player in the industry, which is evident from the many Irish here tonight. Irish tourism stakeholders work in partnership to promote and grow the country’s appeal as a destination for both business and leisure travellers.”
The CCD beat off tough competition from Austria Center Vienna, Berlin ExpoCenter City, ExCeL London, Fira Barcelona, Spain and Messe Frankfurt Convention Centre, Germany among others.
Following this award, The CCD now moves forward to compete with other regional winners for the ultimate title of ‘World's Leading Meetings & Conference Centre’ which will be announced at the Grand Final Gala Ceremony in Muscat, Oman in November 2019. The CCD won this reputable industry accolade in 2017.
Head of Marketing & Communications
The Convention Centre Dublin
About The CCD
The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) opened in September 2010 and is Ireland’s first purpose-built international convention centre. Located in the heart of Dublin city, just 15 minutes from Dublin Airport, The CCD has hosted over 1,800 events and won a total of 42 industry awards since opening. For more information, please visit www.theccd.ie
Performance Highlights to Date
• Hosted over 1,800 events since opening in September 2010
• Customer satisfaction ranks consistently at over 98%
• 2019 to date, hosted 72 events
2019 Event Highlights to date
• Pendulum Summit (January 2019)
• International Airfinance Conference 2019 (January 2019)
• Alltech Craft Brews & Food Fair 2019 (March 2019)
• FutureScope 2019 (March 2019)
• Thrive Festival 2019 (March 2019)
• PMI EMEA (May 2019)
• Global DIY Summit (June 2019)
The CCD has won 42 industry awards to date including:
• Europe’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2019, 2018, 2017 - World Travel AwardsTM
• World’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre 2017 – World Travel AwardsTM
• Best Overseas Conference Centre - UK Meetings & Incentive Travel (M&IT) Awards Gold 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012; Silver 2017, 2011
• Best Overseas Conference Venue - UK Conference & Incentive Travel (C&IT) Awards 2013 and 2015
• One of the Top Four Convention Centres in the World 2012 - International Association of Congress Centres (AIPC)
• Access Excellence Award 2012 - UK M&IT (first Irish venue to win this accolade).
About World Travel Awards
World Travel Awards was established in 1993 to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the tourism industry. Today, the World Travel Awards brand is recognised globally as the ultimate hallmark of quality, with winners setting the benchmark to which all others aspire. The brand aims to celebrate those organisations who push the boundaries of industry excellence.