DUBLIN – 5 May 2017 – The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) announced that it has been awarded a silver status by the World Obesity Federation’s Healthy Venues Award programme. The CCD is the second venue in Europe, and third worldwide, to receive a Healthy Venue accreditation after it met all of the criteria to become a Silver Healthy Venue.
The Healthy Venues Award encourages venues to support their delegates and staff in making healthier choices during conferences. It is broken down into three components, workplace health, healthy catering and promoting activity.
Speaking about this prestigious accreditation, Stephen Meehan, CEO of The CCD said, “We are proud to be only the second venue worldwide to receive Silver Healthy Venue accreditation. We worked closely with the World Obesity Federation to ensure we met the criteria,” he added “and we look forward to offering healthy and active choices to conference goers, clients and staff.”
Leonard Fearon, Executive Head Chef at The CCD added, “We are delighted with the Silver Healthy Venue accreditation and to offer healthy menu options in The CCD, using only the finest of Irish ingredients. I’m excited to work with the team on new ideas and innovations for visitors to The CCD over the coming years.”
The CCD already had a number of the requirements in place to provide a healthy venue for delegates and implemented the final initiatives to meet the strict criteria which include:
- A Healthy Venue committee to manage the programme.
- A complete range of healthy menu options and services to help delegates make the best food choices.
- Clear food content labelling and allergen information.
- Digital signage that encourages delegates to take the stairs, avail of standing space in meeting rooms and take regular active breaks.
- Support from Event Managers to incorporate physical activity into delegate programmes.
- Walking and running routes in the local area for delegates available on the website.
- Printed maps of the local area at reception and on the website highlighting local services.
- Space that can be used for fitness and relaxation sessions.
- Information on how to get here by foot and by bike to encourage active travel to the venue.
- Facilities for standing and walking receptions.
- An internal staff pacer challenge.
The other venues to receive the Healthy Venues Award are the SECC Glasgow who obtained silver accreditation in February 2016 and Vancouver Convention Centre who received bronze accreditation in May 2016.
The CCD has a list of requirements to meet over the next 12 months to ensure the venue maintains the silver accreditation.
- ENDS -
Head of Marketing & Communications
The Convention Centre Dublin
About The CCD
The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) opened in September 2010 and is Ireland’s only purpose-built international convention centre. Located in the heart of Dublin city, just 15 minutes from Dublin Airport, The CCD has won a total of 34 industry awards since opening.
About The World Obesity Federation
The World Obesity Federation is a not-for-profit organisation representing professional members of the scientific, medical and research communities in over 50 regional and national obesity associations. The Healthy Venues Award programme was launched in October 2015 with venues awarded Bronze, Silver or Gold status according to their adherence to a list of criteria relating to healthy eating and physical activity. For more information, visit www.worldobesity.org