The CCD: Creating a world-class experience for everyone.
More than a billion people across the globe are living with a disability, and so creating experiences that are accessible to everyone is of upmost importance. This number accounts for 15% of the global population who may face difficulty participating in events if inclusivity is not taken into account. Everyone in the events industry has a responsibility to ensure all potential attendees are welcome and comfortable to immerse themselves in all aspects of an event.
Accessibility in venues worldwide is a crucial aspect of event planning that aims to ensure everyone can participate and enjoy the activities regardless of their physical or mental abilities.
The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) is a purpose-built, world-class conference venue that has incorporated all legislative requirements, and more, for accessibility into its design and construction. The venue provides a range of services and facilities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all visitors, regardless of their abilities or needs.
From the beginning, The CCD has been focused on creating a venue that provides a like-for-like experience to all guests, regardless of ability. In 2012, it was the first Irish venue to win the Meetings & Incentive Travel (M&IT) Award for ‘Access Excellence’. This award acknowledges organisations that are embracing an inclusive and integrated approach in creating accessible events. At the time, judges commented that The CCD staff are “passionate and driven to make this venue excellent in its access offer for all visitors”, and that the venue itself was “a destination exceeding compliance and achieving excellence in so many areas.”
The CCD consistently brings accessibility and inclusivity to the forefront of all event plans, ensuring that all guests are included and cared for.
Some of the features that make The CCD accessible and inclusive are:
- Wheelchair access to all areas of the building with lifts, ramps, and automatic doors, as well as 20 dedicated spaces suitable for wheelchair users in the auditorium, accompanied by at least one companion space adjacent.
- Accessible toilets on every level, with emergency call buttons, and baby changing facilities in four bathrooms, as well as adult changing facilities with a Wispa 200L 300 series hoist.
- Induction loops in the Auditorium and meeting rooms, as well as infrared hearing systems and portable hearing devices for visitors with hearing impairments.
- Braille signage and tactile paving throughout the building, as well as audio guides and large print materials for visitors with visual impairments.
- Assistance dogs are welcome in the building, with water bowls and relief areas provided.
- Accessible parking spaces are available in the underground car park, with direct access to the venue.
- Special dietary requirements can be catered for by the professional catering team, with menus and options to suit different preferences and allergies.
By choosing an accessible venue, you can show that you care about the diversity and well-being of your attendees. You can also create a positive and productive environment for everyone, as well as attract more clients and partners who share the same values.
The CCD is continuously upgrading and improving all facilities. We maintain a high standard of excellence and are committed to making The CCD as physically and emotionally welcoming as possible for all.
Read more about accessibility at The CCD here.