The Social Media and Critical Care (SMACC) Conference, due to take place at The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) in June this year, is staying true to its not-for-profit roots with a donation to Focus Ireland, a charity supporting homelessness in Dublin.
The sell-out conference will auction off the last ‘Golden Ticket’ with all proceeds going to the local charity. SMACC, which has gained a cult following more akin to a music festival, sold out its 2,000 tickets more than six months prior to the conference – with tickets selling out in a mere few hours after their release.
The meeting will take place over four days from the 13th- 16th June at The CCD and will see delegates arrive from all corners of the globe. SMACC is a relatively new gig in the conference town and whilst many think of conferences as a dour gathering of powerpoint presentations, SMACC is proactively resuscitating the world of medical meetings and giving the traditional educational conference format a long overdue shake up.
Born from a not-for-profit charitable trust, SMACC brings together medical professionals from around the world to produce Free Open Access Medical education, known as FOAM or FOAMed. The FOAMed movement has organically grown a global following on social media which in turn has driven the success and appeal of the SMACC conference.
“The mission of SMACC is to provide high quality medical education in an exciting and inspirational manner,” says Dr Roger Harris one of the founding forces of the SMACC series. “In keeping with the ethos of the conference, and the FOAMed movement, we wanted to give back to our host city which is why we are auctioning off the SMACC Golden Ticket,” continues Harris.
Focus Ireland is a non-profit organisation based in Dublin that provides services for homeless people. It is the largest national voluntary association in Ireland and its stated mission is "to advance the right of people-out-of-home to live in a place they call home through quality services, research, and advocacy".
To bid in the SMACC Dub Golden Ticket Auction visit www.smacc.net.au/auction
SMACC Dub will take place at The Convention Centre Dublin from 13th - 16th June 2016. For more information visit www.smacc.net.au or follow @smaccteam on twitter and join the #FOAMed conversation.
SMACC Fast Facts
• The first SMACC conference was held in Sydney in 2013 and has now become one of the biggest Critical Care conferences in the world
• The 2015 conference was held in Chicago and attracted 2,000 delegates from around the world
• SMACC Chicago trended number one in the world on Twitter during the conference
• Podcasts from the 2015 conference have exceeded an impressive one million downloads
• The first release of SMACC Dub tickets sold out in 8 hours, with the second release selling out in an incredibly fast 15 minutes, and the last release selling out in 7 minutes
• SMACC has gained global acclaim for its focus on ‘edutainment’ – a term coined to describe the delivery of education in an engaging and entertaining
- ENDS -
Marketing & Communications
The Convention Centre Dublin
About The CCD
The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) opened in September 2010 and is Ireland’s only purpose-built international convention centre. Located in the heart of Dublin city, just 15 minutes from Dublin Airport, The CCD has won a total of 31 industry awards since opening.